Our fiberglass fabrics are still the standard for fiberglass composite reinforcements, and we offer a full range of technical options to meet your needs. If you’re interested, there’s a lot you need to know about composite materials, including what they are and how they’re used.
Our products support a diverse set of applications ranging from surfboards to satellites.
</section class=”standard-text-module content-stuck”>
What are composite materials and what are they used for?
Composite materials are made up of two or more different types of material, which offer several advantages over traditional materials. They are often lighter, stronger, and more durable than their traditional counterparts and can be less susceptible to corrosion.
According to the Australian Academy of Science, composite materials are made by combining two or more materials that stay separate. This contrasts with a mixture, where the different materials are mixed. The two materials used in a composite material often have other properties, making the resulting material stronger or lighter than its parts.
Composite materials are used in various aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction applications. They are often used in projects where traditional materials cannot meet the required specifications.
Benefits of using composite materials over traditional materials
Composite materials often offer several advantages over traditional materials, such as being lighter, stronger, more durable, and less susceptible to corrosion. Medium also notes that composites are a material that can be used to explore different design options that aren’t possible with only metal technologies.
For example, composite materials are often used in the aerospace industry because they are lighter than traditional materials such as steel and aluminum. This can lead to fuel savings for aircraft manufacturers.
In the automotive industry, composite materials are often used to make cars and trucks lighter. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency and performance. Composite materials are also often used in construction because they are solid and durable. They can be used to build homes, office buildings, bridges, and other structures.
Applications for composite materials
Composite materials are used in a variety of industries and applications. Some of the most common applications of composite materials include:
- Aerospace: Composite materials are often used in the aerospace industry because they offer several advantages over traditional materials. They are lighter, stronger, and more durable than traditional materials, leading to fuel savings for aircraft manufacturers.
- Automotive: These are often used in the automotive industry to make cars and trucks lighter. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency and performance.
- Construction: These materials are also used in construction because they are solid and durable. They can be used to build homes, office buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Marine: The marine industry frequently uses composite materials since they have several benefits over traditional materials. They are lighter, stronger, more durable, and less corrosion-resistant than conventional materials.
How to select the suitable composite material for your project
There are many different types of composite materials on the market, so it is essential to choose the one that is best suited to your particular project. Installation maintenance instructions will vary depending on the composite material you choose.
Some factors you may want to consider when selecting a composite material include:
- The intended use of the finished product
- The strength and stiffness requirements
- The weight requirements
- The fire resistance requirements
- The environmental conditions in which it will be used
Once you have considered all of these factors, you can then narrow down your options and select the composite material that is best suited for your needs.
Maintenance and care of composite materials
Composite materials require very little maintenance and are typically very easy to care for. However, following the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and caring for the material is essential.
Some general tips for maintaining composite materials include:
- Sweep or vacuum the surface regularly to remove dirt and debris.
- If the material becomes wet, wipe it dry as soon as possible to prevent staining.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners on composite materials, as they can damage the surface. Occasionally, mixed materials can be cleaned with mild soap and water.
- If you have any questions about how to care for your composite material, consult the composite material supplier’s instructions or contact a professional for assistance.
We offer many composite materials, so selecting the one best suited to your project is essential. Installation tips and maintenance instructions will vary depending on your chosen composite material.
Composite materials that are out of this world
As a composite material company, we are constantly innovating and expanding our composite material offerings. We are always looking for new and better materials to meet the needs of our customers. Our team is dedicated to providing our clients with the best products and services. If you have questions about our composite material solutions, do not hesitate to contact us.
JPS Composite Materials
The choice for composite reinforcement fabrics
JPS invented Astroquartz® fabric to help put man on the moon. JPS Astroquartz® is still the leader in low dielectric, high temperature and mechanical strength silica fabric.
Today, we are one of the largest manufacturers of fiberglass reinforcing fabrics in the country. Our fiberglass fabrics set the standard for fiberglass composite reinforcements.
JPS Composite Materials offers a full range of fabric solutions for the composites industry. In addition to fiberglass and Astroquartz® you can choose from a number of technical options. JPS produces a full range of Kevlar®, Twaron®, Spectra®, and Dyneema®, as well as many others. Let us design a fabric for you!